'The changing colours of the season on the table'
- 1 cup Hokkaido pumpkin (The total for the recipe is 1 whole medium sized pumpkin, as we use the leftovers for garnish)
- 2 cups brown rice (cooked and rinsed)
- 200g hard organic GMO- free tofu
- 5-6 scallions
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- A healthy handful fresh parsley leaves
- A small piece fresh ginger
- Lemon zest (from ½ lemon)
- 2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 garlic clove)
- Two pinches cardamom powder
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Olive oil or coconut oil (to fry)
- Roasted pumpkin (leftover from making the rice balls)
- Greens: mangold, kale, green salad...
- Scallions (chopped)
- Seeds or nuts
Pumpkin season is here! I love pumpkins, i use them for salads, stews, baking, patties... and now for making these rice balls, that lately have been quite popular at our home. I was thinking also to make this recipe by using beans as chickpeas, that will be more like a pumpkin falafel, probably delicious!
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Cut the pumpkin into chunky pieces. Place the pumpkin on an oven tray covered with parchment paper and drizzle a rich amount of olive oil on the top. Sprinkle sea salt. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until the pumpkin is roasted. Remove from the oven and let cool. In a big bowl or container, make crumbles with the tofu by using your hands. Chop thinly the scallions and herbs. Peel and grate a small piece of ginger and add into the bowl. Add the cooked rice, flour, garlic powder, sesame seeds, sea salt, black pepper, cardamon powder and lemon zest. Stir all ingredients.
Deseed and cut into small squares, one cup of roasted pumpkin. Now add the cup of pumpkin on the top of the dough. Use a hand whisk or similar to smash the roasted pumpkin and combine all the ingredients together.
Use the hands to roll the dough into small balls. Dip your hands in water to avoid that the dough stick to them. When the balls are ready, heat some oil in a pan over medium heat and cook the balls for a couple of minutes, turning them with a spatula or similar until golden.
Present the plate with some mangold leaves or green salad, roasted pumpkin, chopped scallions, some seeds or nuts and the pumpkin rice balls. Squeeze some lemon juice on the top and get ready to enjoy the meal!